Secobarbital use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Secobarbital: Seconal, Seconal Sodium, Tuinal, Seconal Sodium Pulvules
Secobarbital Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because there is little published experience with secobarbital during breastfeeding, other agents may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Secobarbital was detected but not quantified 24 hours after an unspecified dose in a woman who was 4 days postpartum.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Secobarbital 200 mg given intravenously during labor 10 minutes to 3 hours before delivery for obstetric sedation reduced the sucking behavior of the newborn infants. The number of sucks, sucking pressure and total consumption of artificial feeding from the testing device were reduced substantially.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Horning MG, Stillwell WG, Nowlin J et al. Identification and quantification of drugs and drug metabolites in human breast milk using GC-MS-COM methods. Mod Probl Paediatr. 1975;15:73-9.
2. Kron RE, Stein M, Goddard KE. Newborn sucking behavior affected by obstetric sedation. Pediatrics. 1966;37:1012-6. PMID: 5949020
CAS Registry Number
- Hypnotics and Sedatives
- GABA Modulators
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Secobarbital use during Pregnancy
- Secobarbital Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy