Milnacipran use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Milnacipran: Savella
Milnacipran Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Milnacipran has not been studied in nursing mothers and the manufacturer recommends that nursing mothers not take milnacipran. Because no information is available on the use of milnacipran during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Galactorrhea is reported by the manufacturer to be a side effect of milnacipran. One woman who was being treated for depression took an intentional overdose of 950 mg of milnacipran orally. From day 5 to day 15 after the overdose, the patient noted a flow of milk from her left breast. The galactorrhea resolved without treatment.
In a study of cases of hyperprolactinemia and its symptoms (e.g., gynecomastia) reported to a French pharmacovigilance center, milnacipran was not found to have an increased risk of causing hyperprolactinemia compared to other drugs.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Savella package insert. Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc. January 2009.
2. de Haro L, Hayek-Lanthois M, Rodor F, Valli M . [Amenorrhea and galactorrhea after acute overdose with milnacipran]. Therapie. 2001;56:799-800. PMID: 11878113
3. Trenque T, Herlem E, Auriche P, Drame M. Serotonin reuptake inhibitors and hyperprolactinaemia: a case/non-case study in the French pharmacovigilance database. Drug Saf. 2011;34:1161-6. PMID: 22077504
CAS Registry Number
- Adrenergic Uptake Inhibitors
- Antidepressive Agents
- Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Milnacipran use during Pregnancy
- Milnacipran Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy