Iron Sucrose use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Iron Sucrose: Venofer
Iron Sucrose Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Limited data indicate that breastmilk iron is not increased after intravenous infusion of iron sucrose. Amounts of iron ingested by the infant would be normal and are not expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. No special precautions are required.
Maternal Levels. Ten mothers who were iron deficient 2 to 3 days postpartum received a single dose 100 mg of intravenous iron sucrose. The iron concentration in their colostrum was compared to those in 5 similar women who received no iron. Colostrum collected daily for 4 days after the injection contained average iron concentrations between 0.3 and 0.45 mg/kg of milk which is in the low end of the range for postpartum women. No difference in milk iron concentration was found between the treated and control mothers.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
In a study of 104 women with postpartum anemia, 78 women received 300 mg of intravenous iron sucrose over 3 days. All women were breastfeeding and had amenorrhea. No adverse reactions were reported in their infants.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Breymann C, von Seefried B, Stahel M et al. Milk iron content in breast-feeding mothers after administration of intravenous iron sucrose complex. J Perinat Med. 2007;35:115-8. PMID: 17302514
2. Giannoulis C, Daniilidis A, Tantanasis T et al. Intravenous administration of iron sucrose for treating anemia in postpartum women. Hippokratia. 2009;13:38-40. PMID: 19240819
Iron Sucrose Identification
CAS Registry Number
- Ferric Compounds
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Iron sucrose use during Pregnancy
- Iron sucrose Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy