Glycopyrrolate use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Glycopyrrolate: Robinul, Robinul Forte, Cuvposa, Seebri Neohaler, Utibron Neohaler, Glycate
Glycopyrrolate Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of glycopyrrolate during breastfeeding. Because glycopyrrolate is a quaternary ammonium compound, it is not likely to be absorbed and reach the bloodstream of the infant. Long-term use of glycopyrrolate might reduce milk production or milk letdown, but a single dose is unlikely to interfere with breastfeeding. During long-term use, observe for signs of decreased lactation (e.g., insatiety, poor weight gain).
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. Anticholinergics can inhibit lactation in animals, apparently by inhibiting growth hormone and oxytocin secretion. Anticholinergic drugs can also reduce serum prolactin in nonnursing women. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Hale TW. Anesthetic medications in breastfeeding mothers. J Hum Lact. 1999 ;15:185-94. PMID: 10578796
2. Lee JJ, Rubin AP. Breast feeding and anaesthesia. Anaesthesia. 1993;48:616-25. PMID: 8346780
3. Aaron DK, Ely DG, Deweese WP et al. Reducing milk production in ewes at weaning using restricted feeding and methscopolamine bromide. J Anim Sci. 1997;75:1434-42. PMID: 9250502
4. Powell MR, Keisler DH. A potential strategy for decreasing milk production in the ewe at weaning using a growth hormone release blocker. J Anim Sci. 1995;73:1901-5. PMID: 7592071
5. Daniel JA, Thomas MG, Powell MR, Keisler DH. Methscopolamine bromide blocks hypothalmic-stimulated release of growth hormone in ewes. J Anim Sci. 1997;75:1359-62. PMID: 9159285
6. Bizzarro A, Iannucci F, Tolino A et al. Inhibiting effect of atropine on prolactin blood levels after stimulation with TRH. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 1980;7:108-11. PMID: 6788407
7. Svennersten K, Nelson L, Juvnas-Moberg K. Atropinization decreases oxytocin secretion in dairy cows. Acta Physiol Scand. 1992;145:193-4. PMID: 1636447
8. Masala A, Alagna S, Devilla L et al. Muscarinic receptor blockade by pirenzepine: effect on prolactin secretion in man. J Endocrinol Invest. 1982;5:53-5. PMID: 6808052
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.