Glipizide use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Glipizide: Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL, GlipiZIDE XL, Metaglip
Glipizide Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Limited data indicate that the levels of glipizide in milk are low. However, an alternate drug for which there is more information may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant. Monitoring of the breastfed infant's blood glucose is advisable during maternal therapy with hypoglycemic agents.
Two women who had delivered via cesarean section and were receiving glipizide 5 mg daily in the immediate postoperative period had milk glipizide levels measured. Trough glipizide milk levels were undetectable (<80 mcg/L). The authors estimated that the maximum dosages that a fully breastfed infant would receive is <27 % of the weight-adjusted maternal dosage.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Blood glucose levels were normal in 2 breastfed infants whose mothers were taking oral glipizide 5 mg daily.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Everett JA. Use of oral antidiabetic agents during breastfeeding. J Hum Lact. 1997;13:319-21. PMID: 9429368
2. Berlin CM, Briggs GG. Drugs and chemicals in human milk. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2005;10:149-59. PMID: 15701580
3. Feig DS, Briggs GG, Kraemer JM et al. Transfer of glyburide and glipizide into breast milk. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:1851-5. PMID: 16043722
CAS Registry Number
- Hypoglycemic Agents
- Sulfonylurea Compounds
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Glipizide use during Pregnancy
- Glipizide Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy