Flunisolide use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Flunisolide: Aerobid, Nasalide, Nasarel, Aerospan HFA, Aerobid-M
Flunisolide Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Although not measured, the amounts of inhaled corticosteroids absorbed into the maternal bloodstream and excreted into breastmilk are probably too small to affect a breastfed infant. Reviewers and an expert panel consider inhaled and oral corticosteroids acceptable to use during breastfeeding.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
None reported with any corticosteroid.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Greenberger PA, Patterson R. The management of asthma during pregnancy and lactation. Clin Rev Allergy. 1987;5:317-24. PMID: 3319123
2. Ellsworth A. Pharmacotherapy of asthma while breastfeeding. J Hum Lact. 1994;10:39-41. PMID: 7619245
3. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Asthma and Pregnancy Working Group. NAEPP expert panel report. Managing asthma during pregnancy: recommendations for pharmacologic treatment-2004 update. 2004;1-57.
CAS Registry Number
- Anti-Allergic Agents
- Anti-Asthmatic Agents
- Corticosteroids, Inhaled
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Flunisolide use during Pregnancy
- Flunisolide nasal use during Pregnancy
- Flunisolide spray Consumer Information
- Flunisolide aerosol inhaler Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy