Zithromax Z-Pak - can it be used for lymes disease treatment?

Hi tennis player,

Zithromax Z-Pak is the 3 Day (oral) Dose package; therefore, in regards to Lyme disease, the answer is No. Three days of oral antibiotics is insufficient to eradicate Lyme disease, even in the earliest stage.

However, oral Zithromax 250 mg bid is commonly used, for example, in combination with Mepron 750 mg bid for the treatment of babesiosis, also a TBI (tick-borne illness, also a coinfection). Treatment length depends on clinical picture and individual response.

If Zithromax (azithromycin) is used orally to treat Lyme disease, it is ineffective unless it is used with a "cyst-buster" such as Flagyl (metronidazole) or Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine).

Check out Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines, starting on Page 14, regarding the different antibiotics used to treat Lyme disease. Coinfections, such as Bartonella and Babesiosis, are also addressed in this article.