With a fentanyl patch, how do I take a shower?

Hi there MKW51, You don't need to do anything except be sure and not take a hot shower. You can shower in warm, body temperature water with the patch on and it should not come off. Don't store your patches in the bathroom. They need to be kept in a room where the humidity is lower. And they don't need to be exposed to any heat source like sunlight or in front of a heater. Keep at a comfortable room temperature or cool area of the house. However, if you still want to take extra measures to protect your patch, I have worn fentanyl and other patches before and all I did was to cut a piece of film like Renolds Wrap or any other water proof material that you have in the house and cut it a little larger than your fentanyl patch and place it over the fentanyl patch, then tape around the film securely. I would use medical grade tape that you can get at any store that sells bandaid's, and it should be near or with the bandaid's.

MKW51 27 Mar 2011

Thanks for all the good advice!!!

You don't need to be afraid to use the Fentanyl patch. As long as you are using it correctly - not using extra, or trying to abuse them you will be fine. The FDA warning (back in 2007) was to warn people of the dangers of this medication if it were abused and is the same warning for all narcotics. This is serious pain medication - abuse it and it can take your life. Use it as directed by your doctor and pharmacist and you will be fine.