Will flexeril show up on a routine urine tox screen?

This question has also been asked and answered here:
Will Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) show up on a drug test?

Anonymous

Flexaril is simply a muscle relaxent just like many people think soma is a narcotic because it has the potencial for addiction. NO it will not show up as anything on a UA(tox screen). Hope this was helpful have a good day!

joeblue 6 Jan 2012

You are wrong sir as i have said to the doc, flexeril is a member of the tricyclic antidepressant family,and many test panel and lab test for this on a reg. Sorry to burst your bubble

J4go 18 Apr 2014

JohnBlue is dead wron it does not belong to the tricyllic or any other anti-depressant family.

MD toxicologist to the rescue.
Answer: NO
Flexeril will not show up on a urine toxicology screen.
If this answer is helpful, please indicate such.
God bless

joeblue 6 Jan 2012

Excuse me Dr. I must disagree, Flexeril will show up as a tricyclic antidepressant. As many drug test now a days test for. You yourself should know this as being a toxicoligist MD, Flexeril branches off the tricyclic antidepressant family. I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything.

emmarosewrites 24 Aug 2012

Doc this is not to you, but to the person who insists that they will show up on a drug test.
I'm confused, why would an employer care about tricyclic antidepressants? If a screen showed up for any antidepressant, I'm sure that would not prohibit someone from obtaining employment. I think someone is missing the point here.

Plus, most employers don't do that sort of test. If they are testing specifically for antidepressants, then one could show up, but the typical pre-employment drug screen tests for the following: Cocaine, Marijuana, Opiates, Methamphetamines, Benzodiazepines with the possibility of testing for Phencyclidine, Oxy, or Meth specifically.

Both answers are correct. But also remember, there are spaces on the Ameritox form (one of several testing labs) where the tester can write in any medication the person paying for the test wants you tested for. There are also boxes they can check off (suboxone is one of them) if they want you tested for it. It all depends on how much money the test requester wants to pay and if they think you may be taking something other than the standard drugs they normally test for. Bottom line... most people do not want to pay for the more in depth testing. So I wouldn't worry at all.

christineATU 19 Jul 2010

I know mrspage is tired of reading this but I thought you might find this interesting...

"Statistical Information About Drug Testing and Passing Drug Tests"
Provided by HealthTech Inc.

According to R. Brookler, "Industry Standards in Workplace Drug Testing," Personnel Journal, (April 1992). Laboratories admit that urine tests are not always accurate. The manufacturers of all drug testing equipment acknowledge that all positive results should be confirmed with a more sophisticated test. The only acceptable drug confirmation test is the costly gas chromatography/mass spectrometer. Without confirmation by an alternative testing method, urine drug tests are not sufficiently reliable to hold up in court.

Anonymous 19 Jul 2010

Yes i remember chris where were you when i needed you i cant remember all of that by memory lady.

I just took a probation drug test and I had took 2 flexeril last night and today before before the test. It DID NOT show up ;-)

I work in a hospital lab as a MLS (medical laboratory scientist). You have to understand the testing before you can ask or answer this question.

First of all, there is qualitative (screen) tests and quantitative tests that not only give a positive or negative result, but an amount detected. The quantitative tests are the only ones usuable for legal cases such as court cases, probation, or pain clinic compliance.

The qualitative tests are mainly used in hospital ERs and in pre-employment drug screens. They are highly sensitive but not very specific, so false positives are common. They come in different kits that tests for different drugs. You may get lucky and not get tested for the drug you are abusing.

I was just prescribed flexeril for a pinched nerve in my back. I do wkly drug screens for my doctor. And antidepressants showed up in my test. After my urine was dent to a lab, it came back as my prescribed flexeril. So yes it does show up in a test. But its non-narcotic. It falls under category of antidepressants.