Why is metoprolol being prefered over atenolol now-a-days?

Sorry this was not answered sooner but will answer anyway as it may help others.
Atenolol and Metoprolol are both beta blockers.
Beta blockers are in general equally effective but there are differences in them which may affect choice in treating particular diseases or patients.
There are 2 main differences between Atenolol and Metoprolol:
1. Atenolol is water soluble. Metoprolol is lipid soluble so is more likely to produce sleep disturbances and nightmares because it can cross the blood brain barrier.
2. Atenolol has a longer half life and can be taken once a day while Metoprolol should be taken twice daily.