Why do stroke patients sometimes quit eating & drinking? what medicine help? tried megace?

i'm not sure what medication you can take to help but when my daddy was having small strokes it was hard for him to eat and drink because he was afraid he was going to choke and he was unable to tell us that at first so his sitter would cut up food into tiny pieces and let him pick it up with his fingers and we got him a tupper ware sippy cup and one of us would hold it giving him small sips until he was able to feel the liquid around his tongue and not choke when he did take meds they were chrushed up in applesauce or given in a liquid form whatever was easiest for my daddy. i hope this has answered your question.missy

shicks 18 Mar 2010

Thanks Missy. I tried cuttin up his food & puree but, he still won't try to eat. i know it's because he's afraid he will get choked. I haven't tried the sippy cup that's a thought! THANKS.

missy2 18 Mar 2010

do you have a large syringe without the needle you could put some pudding or jello and squeeze a little at a time how old is this person if i may ask you know that ensure doen't smell right to me but if your trying to get nurishment in maybe we could think of something good i'll try and remember all the stuff i did for my daddy we got him eating pretty good.i'll pray for you and your family. missy