When u have tardive dystonia does anyone take pain meds?

Many sufferers have continuous pain, cramping and relentless muscle spasms due to involuntary muscle movements.

Hey kevinmishel,

Generally the treatments for dystonia focus on the relaxation of the muscles rather than just focusing on the symptom such as pain caused by the muscle spasms. Different medications are tried in an effort to find a combination that is effective for a specific person. Not all people will respond well to the same medications. Medications that have had positive results in some include: diphenhydramine, benzatropine, anti-Parkinsons agents ( such as trihexyphenidyl), and muscle relaxers (such as diazepam).

Tardive dystonia is drug induced. Are you still taking the inducing agent? Is your dystonia from a particular medication? Are you in a lot of pain?

We are here to support you anyway we can,

snooki2011 11 May 2011

Or Robaxin 500@2*day is what I take as a muscle relaxer. Also soma they don't knock me out but they sure do relax those muscles and nerves quiet nicely and don't impair u from doing ne thing or I will say they never have me. So hope that helps u some .

kevinmishel 11 May 2011

no it happened from compazine when i went to hospital for abdominal pain .instead it was a 2 yr blood bubble from my period pressing on uterus ouch!istaed of doing ultrasound 1 min later i got shot wiith compazine and hydromorphone at same time then downhill to black hole alll the whey now im left w dystonia all over yes it hurts im only on cymbalta and xanex and go to work everyday try to focus and not ocd its so hard..i just wondered if i should take a pain med i used to take oxycode for my back now forget the back its all over.

LaurieShay 11 May 2011

You may benefit from a muscle relaxer if the dystonia is causing you this much pain. I recommend Baclofen as a strong muscle relaxer. It may cause some dizziness, but you will adjust over time. I would discuss the muscle relaxer with your doctor as it is the most appropriate way to combat dystonia.

kevinmishel 11 May 2011

Yes from compazine no am not taking it was in 8 hr coma dystonia now only on cybalta and xanex pychatrist next wk

kevinmishel 18 Jul 2011

just got put on beta blocker while in tardive dystonia heart failure they never told me ,ive been walking around with high blood pressure 135 pulse rate.til finally one doctor who did nerve damage test sent me to cardiologist his who said they would not treat me so went to deray hospital trama unit they put me under general anasethia to see if pain from spazm or anxiety it wasnt so beta blocker all the way doc also put me on diazapam at noght xanex during day and celexa