When starting Jolivette do you start with the inner ring of pills or outer?

You start with the outer ring. These are the Pills with the active ingredient in them. The inner ring is the inactive or "sugar pills". They give your body a break from the hormones and allow you to have a period. They are designed, mainly, just to get you used to taking a Pill each and every day so it becomes routine and it also helps you keep count of how many "off" days you should have before you start a new pack. You dont have to take these inner ring Pills if you dont want to, but I would suggest that you do, just so you get it ingrained in your head that each and every day you take a Pill until it becomes ritual like brushing your teeth etc. (Some women choose to just pop it out and throw it away just so they can keep count and know exactly without thinking when their next pack is due.) I think it works best to go ahead and take it until, like I said, it becomes ritual and you wont forget to take a Pill every day.