Whats better for GAD and panic attacks klonopin or xanax?

Anonymous

Klonopin and xanax are both benzodiazapines. Klonopin, it is said to be approx. half the strengh of xanax. However, klonopin lasts longer and is metabolized slower in the body. Klonopin is directed in the use of seizure disorders and panic attacks. Actually klonopin is much safer and better for you than xanax. Xanax also treats anxiety and panic attacks. So the two drugs are similar but klonopin has a slower onset of action but lasts longer-almost like an extended release med. Xanax IR has a quick onset but doesn't last as long unless you take the CR formula (which has a slower onset). Both effect GABA, a neurotransmitter associated with inhibition.

Take care---

Klonopin has a longer half life than Xanax. All benzos work, but if you have a panic or anxiety disorder I would suggest (not a doctor) trying Klonopin or Ativan before Xanax or Valium due to the fact that they stay in your system longer. I have been on Klonopin 3 times daily for nearly two years to help control my panic disorder. Both medications run the same risk of addiction, Xanax is just mentioned more often. Talk to your doctor and let him or her decide which would be the best for your anxiety.

I have been on both. Xanax made me very Ill and therefore my anxiety worse. I now take klonopin at night and it helps me sleep GREAT( which I couldn't with my anxiety) and I don't have to take them very often during the day. The klonopin are great for me. Good luck.