What will happen if I drink an excess of alcohol while I take Methotrexate?

Hey cindylou,

Not a good combination. The methodrexate is already causing your liver to work hard and the alcohol just makes it worse. The interaction between these two substances is as follows:

methotrexate ↔ ethanol

Applies to: methotrexate, Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol)

GENERALLY AVOID: Coadministration of methotrexate with other agents known to induce hepatotoxicity may potentiate the risk of liver injury. Methotrexate, especially at higher doses or with prolonged treatment, has been associated with hepatotoxicity including acute hepatitis, chronic fibrosis, necrosis, cirrhosis, and liver enzyme elevations.

Anonymous 5 Jun 2011

Amen Laurie, my husband is on methatrexate for RA and he has to have his liver ckecked very often, they have him on folic acid too. It is very important you do not drink.