What will a pain management doctor prescribe for bulging and herniated disks?

All depends on the Dr. For me, not much. I've been getting the run around from drs for years. The last one I went to seemed to actually care the most out of any of them and he's a pain management Dr/ spine specialist. But all I've gotten so far is Daypro ( a strong anti inflammatory) and a new muscle relaxant that I've never tried because I've had no success with all the other ones I've tried.

Years ago I was on opiate pain meds for my back and then my Dr said he had to stop prescribing them for me and I was unable to get any other drs to take me seriously without treating me like a drug addict. So I eventually just started buying off the streets and self medicating which worked great for years but eventually I got into legal problems for it so I had to stop and go back and try the legal doctor route again but since then I went to 2 pain management docs with no real relief.

litlmommag 7 Sep 2011

Your honesy is very reassuring to me my advise to you is to find a differnt pain specialist you don't owe a bill to sme hospitals have pain management clinics now they have prgrams that g by your income and they give assistance to help you with the bills they can't refuse you then you should atleast be able to get the shots my shots in my back are cortizone but he said there is another additive to boost the shots and he gives me lidacan patches they really do help I hope this helps you good luck

I<3theOcean 7 Sep 2011

Thanks for your response. Yea ill probably end up having to find another Dr which sucks because this is already the second one I've been to in my area so I don't want anyone to think I'm Dr shopping or anything like that. The first one was just a real jerk and not helpful or understanding at all. I read online afterwards and found reviews about local drs which 90% of ppl said the same thing about him so I realized it wasn't just me so that's when I decided to find a new one. So I picked the one with the best reviews and went to him. Unfortunately he's really busy so they said id have to see another Dr within his practice. The one I saw was a lot better than my other one but still not what I was hoping for.

Yes. It is very hard to say. It depends on the Dr and also what all you have already tried. they might start you out on a stronger NSAID-something stronger than what you get OTC or maybe an anticonvulsant or antidepressant medication as some of them have shown to be of use in chronic pain or they may start you on a mild short acting opioids and/or a muscle relaxant. If you have already tried the stronger NSAIDS and short acting opioids they may try a long acting opioid. They may also want to try epidural injections, nerve blocks, facet joint injections, physical therapy of some sort or other, massage, chiropractic therapy and manipulation and there are a few other treatments they may suggest. Be sure you bring records with you of what you have already tried so he doesnt start for square one if you have been treating with a PCP before now. Be open to non drug therapies and also to non opioid drug therapies. Give all suggestions a try and be patient. It sometimes takes a bit of trial and error bfore you hit on the right combo to treat your pain.