What is the name of the manufacturer for diamox and do they have an assistance program?

Diamox (acetazolamide) is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Carbonic anhydrase is a protein in your body. Acetazolamide reduces the activity of this protein.

Acetazolamide is used to treat glaucoma and to treat and to prevent acute mountain sickness (altitude sickness). It is also used as a part of some treatment plans for congestive heart failure and seizure disorders.

Diamox is made by DURAMED PHARMS BARR INC.

It might be a good idea to contact them to see if they have any patient assistance programs.

5040 Duramed Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45213
United States

pweissx1 5 Sep 2012

I am a social worker and have patients who need this medication (The MD's feel this is the only med (for the diagnosis pseudotumor cerebri) which will help with the severe headaches) . I called Duramed-they have no patient assistance program and said, "we do not set the prices" when I said my patients cannot afford it. They seemed very uninterested in the problem. They gave me three toll free numbers to try but all that those programs do is refer people to patient assistance programs (and there seem to be none). The programs such as Rx Outreach and Xubex do not include this medication in their formulary. I am out of ideas as to how to help these patients. This in not an inexpensive drug. Would welcome any suggestions.

kgoody11 9 Apr 2014

Ok, I called that number and apparently they do not know anything about the brand name. Only generic. My dr. will not allow me to take the generic. I can not afford $430 a month for a med that I have to have.