What is the difference between Xyzal and Zyrtec? What is the Levo?

Xyzal (levocetirizine) is the R-enantiomer of cetirizine, and is thus as such not a new compound, but part of an already known preparation. Cetirizine consists of equal parts R- and S-enantiomer, but several studies have shown that the pharmacological effect – a selective inhibitory effect on the peripheral H1 receptors – is induced by the R-enantiomer alone.

Xyzal tablets contain 5 mg levocetirizine, which corresponds to the content of active R-enantiomer in one 10 mg cetirizine tablet.

wvdustbunny 10 Nov 2009

So, in layman's terms, Xyzal is only one part of zyrtec. So, if Xyzal works for me, then zyrtec should also work and zyrtec is over the counter, right? Thank you for your help.