15 Jul 2011
Cephalexin is a prescription antibiotic that is licensed to treat a number of common infections. It is part of a class of antibiotics called cephalosporins.
Cephalexin is licensed to treat a number of conditions. Some uses include:
* Treatment of a bacterial infection, such as a:
* Respiratory tract infection (pneumonia, bronchitis, strep throat, or tonsillitis)
* Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
* Middle ear infection (otitis media)
* Sinus infection (sinusitis)
* Urinary tract infection (UTI)
* Irritation of the prostate (prostatitis)
* Skin infection, such as cellulitis, folliculitis, or impetigo.
The drug is not effective against any infection caused by a virus, such as the flu, stomach flu, or common cold.
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic used to treat a variety of different infections, including:
* Ear infections
* Nose infections
* Sinus infections (sinusitis)
* Throat infections, such as "strep throat"
* Urinary tract infections (UTIs), such as bladder infections or kidney infections
* Lower respiratory tract infections (such as pneumonia)
* Helicobacter pylori infections in people with small intestine ulcers (when combined with other antibiotics).
Amoxicillin is approved for treating the above infections only when they are caused by certain types of bacteria. Not all bacteria will respond to amoxicillin. Also, bacteria have different resistance patterns in different regions in the country. This means that some bacteria may be susceptible to amoxicillin in certain parts of the country but not in others. Amoxicillin is completely ineffective for treating viral illnesses (such as the common cold or the flu).
It is important to note that a high percentage of people with mononucleosis ("mono") who take antibiotics similar to amoxicillin develop a skin rash. Therefore, amoxicillin is not recommended for use in people with mononucleosis.
Hope have been able to give you the answer?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
The Cephalexin 500MG capsules that I was prescribed today for a bacterial skin infection are red in color for the capsule itself; I'm allergic ...
Cephalexin - I have a throat infection and was prescibed this medicine. I am to take 1g twice a day?
... for a week. Is this not alot for just a throat infection?
i have been prescribed these for a possible bacterial infection because what was diagnosed as a viral infection has lasted for so long(5 weeks). i ...