What is the difference between cephalexin and amoxicillin?

amoxicillin is penicillin based, cephalexin has no penicillin in it at all, they are both used for infections.

hope this helps
Mark

Cephalexin is a prescription antibiotic that is licensed to treat a number of common infections. It is part of a class of antibiotics called cephalosporins.

Cephalexin is licensed to treat a number of conditions. Some uses include:

* Treatment of a bacterial infection, such as a:

* Respiratory tract infection (pneumonia, bronchitis, strep throat, or tonsillitis)
* Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
* Middle ear infection (otitis media)
* Sinus infection (sinusitis)
* Urinary tract infection (UTI)
* Irritation of the prostate (prostatitis)
* Skin infection, such as cellulitis, folliculitis, or impetigo.

The drug is not effective against any infection caused by a virus, such as the flu, stomach flu, or common cold.

Amoxicilin: