What is the difference between cephalexin and amoxicillin?

Cephalexin is a prescription antibiotic that is licensed to treat a number of common infections. It is part of a class of antibiotics called cephalosporins.

Cephalexin is licensed to treat a number of conditions. Some uses include:

* Treatment of a bacterial infection, such as a:

* Respiratory tract infection (pneumonia, bronchitis, strep throat, or tonsillitis)
* Bone infection (osteomyelitis)
* Middle ear infection (otitis media)
* Sinus infection (sinusitis)
* Urinary tract infection (UTI)
* Irritation of the prostate (prostatitis)
* Skin infection, such as cellulitis, folliculitis, or impetigo.

The drug is not effective against any infection caused by a virus, such as the flu, stomach flu, or common cold.

Amoxicilin:

amoxicillin is penicillin based, cephalexin has no penicillin in it at all, they are both used for infections.

hope this helps
Mark