What is opiate agonist?

Drugs that activate receptors in the brain are termed agonists. Agonist bind to receptors and turn them on-they produce an effect. Full mu opioid agonists acitvate mu receptors. Opioids with the greatest abuse potential are full agonists-morphine, heroin, oxycodone, hydromorphone, methadone. On the other end of the spectrum are antagonist. An antagonist also binds to receptors but instead of activating receptors, they effectively block them-naltrexone and naloxone are antagonists. They are like a key that fits the lock but doesnt open the lock and prevents any other keys from being inserted into the lock at the same time. Does that help?

ElizaJane23 27 Oct 2011

That was a great explanation DzooBaby. I learned a lot from that!

DzooBaby 27 Oct 2011

Thanks-it was the way it was explained to me.