What is clonidine hcl used for?

It's a blood pressure med but also is used for withdrawal symptoms.
A doctor had given it to me the last time I was withdrawing off Methadone.
It didn't really help much but then agiain it was an OP detox and the medication lowers your blood pressure... so much so that if to much is taken or you don't have high blood pressure it could make you pass out.
So the doctor gave me five and I was only supposed to take one a day.
But he was smart because the addict in me wanted the pain to stop and thought more is better.
So I took them all with in the day.
Nothing happened... but they didn't work... because if they had worked I wouldn't have started again.