What fresh fruits can I eat while on coumadin?

There are really no foods "off limits" most all can be adjusted around. The key is CONSISTENCY. If you are going to eat foods that have Vitamin K you must consume something that contains about the same amount of Vitamin K every day and likewise for foods that potentiate coumadin such as cranberries and pineapple. As long as you are consistent in your consumption, the Coumadin can be adjusted accordingly. It is the sudden starting and stopping of these foods that cause a problem. If you know you are going to be eating a food that interacts with Coumadin, talk to your prescriber about more frequent INR's to watch what effect those foods will have on the INR.

The fruits that can most compromise the effectiveness of coumadin are mango fruit, cranberries (including cranberry juice) and blueberries. The best advice is to consume these along with Vitamin K rich greens in moderation and be consistent. This way your PT/INR should remain in check once the necessary dose is determined.