I was recently in the care of a pain specialist/spine doctor. I was given an injection and thought it helped. A couple of weeks later, I had to go to an urgent care place because of a really bad spasm. After an xray and mri I found out I have three herniated discs in my neck. Knowing this I want to go to a different place with more of a reputation for this kind of thing. I never got medications from anyone other than that doctor. They never did an xray or mri. For all I know they made me worse doing the injection. I am upset because I didn't realize the seriousness of the agreement.

The new doc I want to go to I went to her about 3 years ago and now want to return to her care. She is a spine doctor not pain specialist. The doc who did the injection thought it was my facet joint. I didn't know I had to break the contract. My regular doctor had a copy of my agreement in my chart so I wouldn't do anything I wasn't supposed to. When I saw him and gave him a copy of the report on my neck he said he would try to get me in sooner than I could on my own with the new dr. This being my first time with a pain specialist and I have only been a patient there for two months I didn't know I had to get out of the agreement. I had no refills, was going to cancel my next appointment, and move on. My reg. doc. wrote me a different pain medication (he knew about the contract) so when I went to fill it there became this mess like I was doing something wrong. He didn't tell me I needed to cancel my agreement with them I just assumed the worse thing they would do if I did try to get meds from somewhere else they wouldn't take me as a patient anymore. I didn't know there was some sort of database. I told the dr. at the urgent care that I had a dr. and had meds. I didn't receive any kind of medication from them. They gave me a shot to help with the spasm, but it was non-narcotic and they told me I could drive right after.

I am just really upset because I feel like I did everything I was supposed to do and now I left the pain dr.s care because I wanted to go somewhere else. Also, she was out of network with my insurance. The new place is covered by my insurance. I have to change because I don't know what I am looking at to get myself better. I am so afraid when I go to my new appt. I don't know if the pain specialists notify other drs. in the area or if the "non-compliance" will show up. I am just worried because I am in a lot of pain and I don't want it to look like I did something wrong and it affect my care. The new dr. may think I am just looking for meds and I just want to get better. I am mostly upset because I am being accused of doing something I didn't do. I should have asked more questions about the agreement. That is my fault. But, I trusted my regular doctor and I wish he would have told me to get released from them first.