What do xanax and citalopram have in common?

Sounds like a riddle.
:)
Both are often used for anxiety disorders, also, both affect the brain, utilized usually for mental illness, and both are associated with discontinuation syndrome when taken on a regular basis. Other than that, not a whole lot. Xanax is a benzo that affects the GAMA, and Citalopram is a SSRI medication. Two medications that do two different things, however, can help a similar common goal at times.

Just as he said they are 2 competely different drugs.Xanax is a prescription drug and it is classified as a benzodiapine type drug.I also know that citalopram or other wise known as CELEXA.Is an SSRI.Which means Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor.They are both used for similar things but are very different.Typically though a doctor would prescribe an SSRI before he would a BENZO because first of all xanax is in a catagory of addictive drugs.While SSRI'S are not.I hope this has helped you.If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

jk13 11 Aug 2010

hey, arcanoidcyst16 is totally right on, however I do just want to clarify one thing. Abuse vs. Discontinuation Syndrome.

Abuse is the need to use increasing amounts of the medication to achieve pleasurable side effects, thus not following doctors instructions.

Discontinuation Syndrome is when you follow doctors instructions, however, your body has developed a need for the drug to maintain what it's become used to. There is no pleasure seeking attributes, but a simple concern of solving a medical problem. When the drug is no longer needed, it is very slowly lowered in dosage with the doctors supervision, and sometimes even switched to another medication so that withdrawal is minimal. You can not however just "stop" the meds (most meds that affect the brain for that matter).