What could be the the effects of melatonin (3mg) and zolpidem (5 mg) taken together?

Anonymous

You would definitely go to sleep but there would be no need to take the melatonin alongside the Ambien (zolpidem).I am prescribed 10mg Ambien for insomnia and have absolutely never needed to add anything to it to make it stronger or work better b/c it is so potent by itself. Melatonin is a mild and natural sleep-aid whereas Zolpidem is a strong narcotic one.If 5mg isnt giving you the help that you need then I strongly suggest you talk to your Dr about moving to 10mg tablets instead of adding or mixing different sleep-aids or ask him/her if you could take 2 tablets instead of just the one??

christineATU 11 Apr 2010

Excellent advice mom! Hope your ailments are improving.

wwpeterson 11 Apr 2010

Thank you for your response mom of 7. 10mg of zolpidem was very effective for about 4 hrs. then I was awake. Seems 3mg melatonin and only half dosage of zolpidem gives me 6 to 7 hrs. Or at least if I wake up I can immediately go back to sleep for couple of hrs. I did not want to combine meds then find myself driving a car or doing laundry in my sleep as cautioned on the zolpidem packaging. My physical reaction to narcotic based drugs is not always as positive as with other people so I keep their usage to a minimum. Appreciate all the input and experiences of others.