What can a patient take for pain when on coumadin?

Hey mzmelinda,

You are safe to take Tylenol (acetominophen) as far as over the counter meds for pain. As far as something stronger and prescription, you can take hydrocodone or oxycodone.

Hope this helps,

Laurie

Hi mzmelinda! Welcome to drugs.com! :)

I take Cymbalta 120 mgs daily for chronic pain. It's an anti-depressant that can also be used to treat pain. I use 1 or 2 Tramacet pills 37.5 mgs for any breakthrough pain. Since I've been on this dosage of Cymbalta, my Tramacet usage is extremely reduced. I also have liquid Morphine (syrup).

I had to take Warfarin (Coumadin) 3 years ago for about 14 months. At that time, I used Tramacet for my pain relief. I live in Canada & Tramacet isn't available in some countries such as the U.S.A.

mzmelinda, depending on what kind of pain or the cause of pain would help to determine the best pain relief, keeping in mind the patient's medical history & what other medications are in daily usage. Your healthcare provider would be the best person to help with this. You'd also be able to ask your pharmacist this question for a knowledgeable answer.

I wish you good health, mzmelinda! from Wendy :)

Hello New Friend,
You may take a broad scope of pain medicines, it is the Vitamin K that is a real big NO-NO. Also, no cranberries.(food items and over the counter products are where people run into problems) The Rx's the Pharmacy watches, if one goes to the same one. No aspirin and watch the NSAIDS it thins the blood.That is what is the larger.
My blood tests came back with my PT and all counts (antigens) showing great no more Coumadin or blood thinners. (if I had to be on one I would use the new one).