What are the risk of drinking beer while on metformin hcl er?

it is very bad. you have to avoid drinking if you are diabetic patient. even if you are not so please try to leave it.
this will make your blood pressure high can make any damage to your health.
please avoid it.

I would worry most about the effects of beer when you are diabetic. Beer breaks down into pure sugar. It is all carb. So when you drink beer (or any alcohol for that matter) your blood sugars will jump high. One beer with a meal and counted as a carb is usually acceptable. Alcohol, in diabetics, should always be consumed along with food and you have to factor the carb amount of the alcohol into your overall carb count. Hope that helps!