Does warfarin allow you to lose weight?

Hi, i came across this warning for using Warfarin for weight loss if not already prescribed it for blood thinning...

"In a desperate attempt to lose weight, some individuals will resort to dangerous measures including using prescription medications not intended or approved to support weight loss. Coumadin, also known as warfarin, is a prescription drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration as an anticoagulant for thinning blood. This drug is not approved as a weight loss aid, and clinical tests have not established the safety or effectiveness of using Coumadin as a weight loss drug. You should only take Coumadin as prescribed by a licensed physician".

I'm not judging anyone who tries it off label, but jut want to advise you ofthe dangers : )

jojo-naicker 7 Dec 2012

Hi. Thank you. I'm asking the question because I am on warfarin and I am losing weight. Was just checking if it cud be a cause of warfarin.

Delila 7 Dec 2012

Hi I'm glad u asked because my dad takes it & is having trouble gaining weight, so at least I know he's not alone! Have you spoken to your dr about it?

I'm not sure how you mean that. Do you mean can you lose weight while you're on warfarin or does it cause it? It doesn't usually effect weight.

jojo-naicker 7 Dec 2012

I have dropped weight since on warfarin. That's my reason for asking.

There are no studies that show that warfarin increases or decreases weight.

Coco1031 8 Mar 2014

What mg of warfarin?