Voltaren Gel - No immediate relief but have been told it takes a few weeks to be effective. True?

Could depend on various factors, yes it could take more or less time for Voltaren Gel to take effect.

Take care, best wishes!

swimmernut 13 Jul 2012

Just curious so what factors are you referring to? Thank you for your response.

Rajive Goel 14 Jul 2012

Factors such as the effected area9s), your age, type of pain, where the pain is located etc.

Dear Swimmernut,
True. I've been prescribed this medication for my arthritis in my shoulders and knees. When I asked about using it on my hip, the dr told me it wouldn't be effective because the joint was too deep. He said it was an anti-inflamatory gel that I use in conjunction to my anti-inflamatory meds. It just takes a bit of time to build up in the area of use. I hope this helped answer your question. Best of luck in your search for relief! :)
Lisa

swimmernut 14 Jul 2012

Thanks Lisa, I have a tear in my right wrist plus tendonitis. I'm praying the get will help. Have been using it for a week now and this morning it does feel better. I apply 2 mg. twice a day. What's your routine? Thanks again!

Gayle

Lisa01 14 Jul 2012

I've got OA in most all my joints, but it's particularly bad in my shoulders, right knee and right hip. I've also got 3 bone spurs in my right shoulder and 1 in my left. I use the gel 2-3 times a day and it does help to some extent. I'm glad it's beginning to work for you and I hope it continues to do so. Best of luck to you and please let more know if I can be of any further help! :)
Lisa

I have Degenerative Joint Disk disease of the spine. I have had 5 surgeries and also had metal implanted and then removed 5 years later. That is just the general basics with me but let me tell you how Voltaren gel has helped me. I live in a constant pain field of about a 5 or 6 on the pain scale. I use the Voltaren gel on my spine when pain gets bad and it takes about a good 15 minutes to bring the pain down at least one notch, enough for me to get some sleep. It depends on where this gel can do its best affect. For me it seems to 'numb' some of the nerves in the pain area but that is just me. Follow the directions on the medication very carefully. If you use too much, there are side effects. I do not use this medication more than twice a day. When I used too much, I had side effects (diarrhea) and it was horrible to go through, so I learned not to use too much. Just try it for a few days at least and see what it does. It may help and may not.

swimmernut 15 Jul 2012

Thank you for the advice and take care.