Is Viibryd effective on anxiety disorders?

Anonymous

Hello yintee813. It is perscribed off label for anxiety. How effective might be will depend on the indivdual taking the drug and the diagnosis. Such as in general anxiety disorder, or panic/high stress anxiety. Regards pledge

yintee813 7 Jan 2013

The side effects have been horrible and I've only been on it for 2 days so needless to say I did the big no-no and didn't take it today since I have to work. I know it takes a while before any drug works but when the side effect freaks you out as much as the problem... it gave me pause. I thank you for your answer. Do you have any suggestions for any other meds for someone who has anxiety/panic attacks. I always keep a bottle of Xanax handy. Driving is the main time I have an attack. I won't go near a hiway or any road that resembles one. :-(. Thanks again.

Hi Yintee,
Viibryd was prescribed for me for depression. After the side effects resolved it has been fantastic for me. I also take a very small dose of Clonazepam for anxiety/sleep.

I see there are many inquiries lately with your same question. Many docs must be prescribing it for anxiety/panic.

I see Pledge has already answered and she is the GURU of these questions.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can help further.
Best Regards,
4N Substances

yintee813 7 Jan 2013

What mg do you take and how long did the side effects take to subside? I took it for 2 days, I did not take it today because I had to go to work... but the diarrhea, headache and extreme nausea was freaking me out royally. Needless to say... the panic attacks I'm having today as a result aren't making my day any lovelier. SIGH.

4N Substances 7 Jan 2013

Dear Yintee,

My MD did the graduated dosage of 10 20 40. I am so happy I hung in there past the side effects. Viibryd has been an amazing life change for me.

My stomache upset was resolved by ALWAYS eating something pretty substantial with the med. it subsuded after a couple weeks. I always take Viibryd in the AM. If I take it in the PM I have really scary sleep paralysis.

I still get an occasional headache but only if I take it late. It's critical for me NEVER to forget a dose or the side effects return with avengence. I worried for you stopping it suddenly. PLEASE talk to your MD.

I'm in Mexico in vacation so my communication will be spotty for a week. Please keep me posted. I care.

Best regards,
Your friend
4N Substances

Hi vintee. You know I haven't taken this med before, so I researched it to find out if viibryd is used for anxiety. It seems it's recommended a lot for depression. Sometimes health care providers recommend "off label" viibryd to use for anxiety, as pledge said. I hope you find the answer to your question. We're so lucky to have friends who are so dedicated by researching our medications and illnesses to give us informed decisions on how their going to answer our questions. Enjoy your day, Anna

yintee813 7 Jan 2013

I am grateful to them as well. Thank you for your response. Hopefully, I can find something to help with my panic attacks. I have had them for a long time and I would like them to disappear just as quickly as they appeared. Well, if only words weren't just wishes... Thanks again

I am taking Viibryd , 20 mg as of 2 days ago. It seems to help, but im having a few issues with it as we speak. Once you get over any side effect in the first week, then you will know. I took it slow... 1 month to hit 20mg. Work with your doc if you have any concerns... let me know how it goes.
Joe

yintee813 7 Jan 2013

My doc gave me the pack that does 10mg week 1, 20mg week 2 and 40mg the remaining 2 weeks of the month. Firstly, I'm not liking the Viibryd. I took it for 2 days and the nausea and diarrhea were almost worse than the panic attacks. I am also not really liking that it climbs so quickly... one month to 40 mg! I did not take my dosage last night because today is a big day for me and diarrhea and nausea might not look good to my new boss. I will speak to my doc today and see if this will be a good fit for me. I know I only gave it 2 days but the side effects have been a major concern these last 2 days. What issues are you having with it... it may help me give my doc a better idea of my dosage. Thanks for your help!!!

barney24 7 Jan 2013

When i first started i had a bloated stomach and a nausea feeling for about the first week. Also soft stools which i pretty much still have ( i also had my gall bladder out ) which is a little better..not much. The bloating and nausea just went away after a week. I got kinda "dizzy" the first week and the other symptoms above so my doc let me stay at 5mg for a few weeks, and then went to 10 for a few more weeks, now im on 20 for the 3rd day. I feel pretty good today. If i feel funny , like the tightness in the chest anxiety i will take .25- .50 mg xanax. I think you should try to get thru at least a week or 2 but take it slow... talk to him ... tell him you need to slow it down. I did!
Joe

Hello. I have been taking Viibryd 40 mg. for a little over a year now with a few months on 20 mgs. because I was running low and out of the country. When I dropped to 20 mg. I noticed a definite difference in my depression. I have not been diagnosed with anxiety but I do have it, along with the depression. My anxiety was so bad that I did not answer my door or my phone, even if I knew who it was. I only had a few gastro issues in getting used to the Viibryd, working up to the 40 mg. per day. The only other side effects from the Viibryd are what are termed "brain zaps" and "nightmares" when trying to fall asleep. The benefits from the Viibryd outweigh the few times I suffer from the falling asleep issues. Unfortunately since I have been on 10 mg per day of Prednisone it seems to counteract the Viibryd. This is a different issue that I will talk to my psychiatric nurse about.

yintee813 7 Jan 2013

I have to say within the first day on 10mg I too felt the brain zaps. By the 2nd day I didn't but it could have been due to my preoccupation with the nausea and diarrhea. My anxiety used to keep me from leaving the house but now it has focused on driving, which is interesting since you have to drive everywhere in charlotte, nc. Sometimes its not as bad depending on the road... some are less frightening for me. I'm starting to get down, which i never did before, because the meds that might help are frightening me as much as the panic attacks. I dont know...