Vancomycin - c-diff is it used for?

Yes. Vancomycin can be used for the treatment of Clostridium difficile infection (c-diff).

The Clostridium difficile bacteria is normally present in the intestine. However, it may overgrow when antibiotics are taken. The bacteria release a powerful toxin that causes the symptoms. The lining of the colon becomes inflamed and bleeds, and takes on a characteristic appearance called pseudomembranes.

Treatment

The antibiotic or other medicine causing the condition should be stopped. Metronidazole is usually used to treat the disorder, but vancomycin or rifaximin may also be used.

Electrolyte solutions or fluids given through a vein may be needed to treat dehydration due to diarrhea. In rare cases, surgery is needed to treat infections that get worse or do not respond to antibiotics.

from http://www.drugs.com/enc/pseudomembranous-colitis.html

sprinklergal 28 Aug 2012

I took Vanco for 2 1/2 years to treat my C-Diff. My veins collapsed from it and I finally became antibiotic resistant and nearly died. My Dr. finally arranged for me to have a fecal transplant. My grandaughter was the donor... we called it magic poopie dust... and bingo I was cured overnight. What I dont understand is why on earth did my Doc wait so long ? I suffered so much and it was so easy to do. Do not hesitate to do this, it will save your life!