Is ultram (tramadol) considered an opiate?

It kind of depends on who you ask! lol Tramadol is NOT a product of the poppy plant and it is not even synthetically related. It is consider "opioid-like" because although it isnt a true opioid, it affects the same receptor sites that opioids do so therefore it has been found that Tramadol has many of the same addicitive and withdrawal issues that opioids do. It is actually chemically closer to anti-depressives so it has many of the same issues of withdrawal from those too! Does that help answer your question any?

MandyDele 28 Feb 2012

I took Tramadol aka Ultram for 10 years and all doctors who ever treated Me never had a problem prescribing it, but in the Rx books and guidelines doctors use for prescribing narcotics, it is listed as an opoid. Maybe they never minded prescribing it because it was a schedule III drug I believe is the class, unlike taking Dilaudid, which I take for RSD and other chronic pain disorders which is a C II medication. I think the risk of becoming addicted to Ultram is a lot less unlikely than drugs like Oxycodone, Hydromorphone, etc... But it's still considered an opoid and was just reading uo on that yesterday, so it was odd running right onto Your question. If You ever need a friend or sound board, I'm not only a good talker, I'm a good listener! Let Me know if I can help ever, just look Me up! Have a great morning! Mandy 0:)

ducky2011 29 Feb 2012

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I have a problem with my tendacy to abuse rx meds. Thank you for your assistance.