Ultram ER - is weight gain a side effect from tihs drug?

Weight gain is not a known side effect of Ultram (actually loss of appetite is a common side effect.

The known side effects are stated below:

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Ultram ER Extended-Release Tablets:

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; nausea; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Ultram ER Extended-Release Tablets:

tlh0862; Yes, yes, yes. I was on this medication for years and I was told that it was the steroid shots that I was getting in my low back that was making me gain weight. Well it turns out that it was the Ultram. I mean it is a great little pill, but wait until you try to get off of it. I felt like I was going through withdrawl of an opiate. I say call your Dr and see if there is another medication that they can try you on. Once I got off of it I did not try anything else, I was too afraid to get withdrawl symptoms. Good luck

morgan30 27 Jul 2011

I feel like I was VERY misled about the pill Ultram ER Shaneysmom and your story sounds all to familiar... I had some metal pins put in my leg, years ago, due to a compound fracture, that had really started to bother me, mostly at night. I went to see my family Dr. about it and he diagnosed it as "restless leg" He suggested a common pain killer. My husband being a police officer I had already been far too afraid of typical pain killers and refused. Then he told me about Ultram ER and said that it was a non-narcotic pain reliever and that there was no chance of me becoming dependant on it... Well a year later and few lbs. heavier I accidently didn't get my prescription filled and the next day was having the worst body cramps ever. I called my Dr. and expressed my concern about what I thought may have been withdrawl symptoms, before having the prescription refilled...