Tramadol - is tremadol a anti inflamitory?

No. Tramadol is an opioid to most people. Its not offically in the opioid class but it acts on some opioid receptors in the brain. Its one of the weakest opioid there is but it will still relive pain. It weakly binds with the M-1 and M-2 receptors if I remember correctly. That makes it a pain killer by most standards.

Hope this helped!

Anonymous 19 Jan 2011

Trams also have SNRI qualities to them. If you are taking an antidepressant this could be potentially hazardous to your well being. Serotonin syndrome is a possibility.
Best wishes,

christineATU 19 Jan 2011

Hi skater. Although trams are not officially a controlled substance (yet) they are indeed in the opioid class.

"Tramadol is used to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain, including pain after surgery. The extended-release or long-acting tablets are used for chronic ongoing pain.

Tramadol belongs to the group of medicines called opioid analgesics. It acts in the central nervous system (CNS) to relieve pain. When tramadol is used for a long time, it may become habit-forming (causing mental or physical dependence). Physical dependence may lead to side effects when you stop taking the medicine".

Tonka8561 19 Jan 2011

Hi Skater -

My doc prescribed Tramadol and I had a very bad reaction - agitated anxiety. Come to find out that it is not reccommended for people on Lithium.
I am going to say it again - I beleive that the Mayo website has a function where you input your drugs to see how they will interact.

skater1215 19 Jan 2011

@sweetlemon.. That's a good point! Always check for interactions.
@christine.. Tramadol is a synthetic opioid. Some people don't consider it a true opioid but I do. And I hope it stays a non-controlled substance. Too many drug seekers make it hard for the people who need pain medicine to get it.
@Tonka.. I'm sorry to hear tramadol caused you all that. You can always use the interaction checker right here. But I never thought about interactions.

Anonymous 19 Jan 2011

Ye are a wise one where have you been hiding? We need you here with the SMART PEOPLE... LOL omg I am soooo gonna get in trouble for dat one dere!

christineATU 20 Jan 2011

I agree! But the info I gave was copied and pasted directly from the professional guide here. It IS classified as an opioid. I agree that it's not a true opioid. Maybe DC got the wrong info from the Parma company or the FDA but that's what it says. It doesn't say "opiate-like" or "chemically related to". And some states have already reclassified it as a controlled substance. It's a very sneaky kind of med too. So many think you can't get addicted to it either, as do many doctors. To this day, half the doctors prescribing it think it's non addictive.

christineATU 20 Jan 2011

Sorry, meant to say I agreed that it is! I need to get on another thread. I'm gonna be in trouble right behind Sweet!

DzooBaby 20 Jan 2011

Acetaminophen is NOT an antiinflammatory. It is an analgesic and antipyretic but not an anti-inflammatory