I am taking keppra for left temporal lobe epilepsy. Can I take tramadol with this?

Anonymous

Interactions between your selected drugs

tramadol ↔ levetiracetam
Applies to: tramadol, Keppra (levetiracetam)
MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

I'm not sure I'd take Tramadol if you have epilepsy. I'm not sure whether it's because of it's opiod effects or it's SNRI effects, but it lowers the threshold for seizures in people that have them. From a personal perspective, I wouldn't take it at all. I became very dependent on them and they actually caused me to have a few seizures.