When switching from Effexor to wellbutrin do I need to gradually stop the Effexor?

If you dont mind me asking, why are you switching? I am currently on effexor and have been on it for a while now and i cant seem to get out of the BLAH feeling. Im tired and basically BLAH!! cant say that im depressed just BLAH .. LOL.

Generally while tapering one you start taking the other since you'll be increasing doses on that.

Yes! You must follow your doctor's instructions very carefully. Although some anti-deps can be taken together, there is a chance of serious additive side-effects. This is why you you titer one drug down and one drug up. A girl in my counselling group took both these drugs together at full doses and had a severe seizure. Best wishes and be careful!

Absolutely!! If you do not taper off the Effexor you will have withdrawals and they can be rough.

LaurieShay 28 Aug 2012

By the way, you can take Wellbutrin with the Effexor and not have to discontinue it.

Tried that once under doctor's orders Wellbuton on Wednesday Effexor on Thursday, ER on Sunday. Wellbuton on Monday and looong talk with doctor on Tuesday. He re-read his PDR and said the equivalent of oops.

You need to taper off one as you go up on the other.