Just started taking Ultram. I only took 1/2 of a 50 mg. tablet. Is that ok?

You didn't state what your pain problem is from or how long you have had it. I want you to read about Ultram or tramadol which is the generic name of this med. I am giving you the link below. Please read it carefully... Mary

PaulineL 19 May 2012

Back pain for many many years. I checked with pharmacist--not an extended relief tablet, so it's ok to take half. I will eventually build up but it takes me a while. The 1/2 did help. Doctor told me to take every 4-6 hours, as needed. I have read the ultram website and others about it over and over. I just have a hard time with meds.

It's OK if that's what the prescribing Dr's instructions say to do. Typically a prescription will have instructions on the label telling the patient what the prescribing Dr ordered. Hope this helps.

It's OK as long as the tablet isn't a controlled/extended release version. As already stated, follow the prescription directions given to you. I wouldn't expect you to get much pain relief from just 25mg though?

PaulineL 19 May 2012

I have a difficult time taking meds. So I always start with half. It did help but now I must see if it's an extended relief. Thank you.

kaismama 19 May 2012

As a general rule they order the dose that is the therapeutic dose. If you want to take less, you should clear it with your doctor.