Skip to Content

Can u get social-security disability for hep-c?

Question is Closed
Report Favorite

Responses (1)


15 Apr 2012

Hello coopahdoop, & welcome to the site. That's a loaded question, because SSD is hard to get for anyone. If you are close to a retirement age it's easier, but the whole process is really long & hard. I have been on it for 22 years now, & was just moved to regular SS because of my age. It took me 2 years & appeals to get it & I have umpteen conditions where I should never have worked but did to raise my kids to adutlhood as a single mother. I haven't had hep c, but a liver problem that was similar. Really high enzymes that took tons of pain, & years to find the real cause, & a simple surgery fixed my problem. I don't know the rules about conditons, but all you can do is fill out the paperwork (or on internet or phone) & try. They usually deny you at first & then you have to appeal. You have to have a really good reason that you can't work.


Votes: +0
Mbsunny54 24 May 2012

Hi Mary - saw your comments on disability which I have recently applied for and am waiting for a decision. I have been diagnosed with AIH and also have high liver enzymes. I am curious as to what surgery helped you resolve that. Thanks so much! Well wishes to you! ☀

Anonymous 25 May 2012

My problem ended up being my common bile duct that releases the bile from the liver to the small intestine. It was in spasm all the time because the opening to the intestine was closed. They did a simple snip snip type of surgery thru an ERCP (a scope of sorts, similar to an endoscope) & all has been fine ever since. Liver enzymes came back to normal, & no more pain. Hope this helps someone else. I had my gallbladder removed because of this pain, & it wasn't what was causing it in the first place. It became much worse after the surgery. I was very ill for 8 years with it... Mary

Search for questions

Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.

Similar questions

I am 30 had many back surgeries and need my pain meds. I have been on them for 2 years and they have

... increased over that course. My last surgery left me disabled I went from 100k marketing job to stuck @ home 24/7 for over a year lost my job ...

7 answers 22 Oct 2011

I am on Social Security/Medicare and am taking Exalgo ER. Can Malinckrodt help pay my co-pays?

My co-pays for Exalgo ER are outrageously high. I keep having to increase my doseages each month too, which does not help, because the higher the ...

2 answers 2 Jul 2012

Can you assist me with my Huerta?

i wanted to know if you could help me get my byetta - I am on social security and need some help if possible - I am disabled and can't get an ...

1 answer 29 Oct 2013

Borderline Personality Disorder - the other day on my friends computer I found some pdf forms to?

... print off to take with me to my dr. They dealt with ways the doctor can word his letter how he can help me more by stating thjings in social ...

1 answer 24 Aug 2014

I was recently diagnosed with myelofibrosis. When do you need to start taking medication? My?

... hematologist said that none of my symptoms are bad enough? Does that mean I am in a very early stage? Do you ever just get on disability and ...

0 answers 12 Aug 2015