Rogaine - I am using minoxidil gel 5% 1gm twice a day & finasteride 1mg once a day is there anything more that i should take for hair regrowth & what type of shampoo i should use to wash my hairs?
12 Jan 2015
There are no FDA approved shampoos for treating androgenetic alopecia.
However, a significant proportion of men with genetic hair loss also have seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff.
There is some evidence that treating these conditions may be beneficial. Shampoos containing ketoconazole and zinc pyrithione may be helpful. I have included references to studies below.
Speak to your physician if these could be helpful for you
1. Pierard-Franchimont et al. Ketoconazole shampoo: effect of long term use in androgenetic alopecia. Dermatology 1998; 196; 474-7
2. Berger et al. The effects of minoxidil, 1 % pyrithione zinc and a combination of both on hair density: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Dermatol 2003; 149: 354-62
Jeff Donovan MD PhD FRCPC FAAD
US & Canadian board-certified Dermatologist
25 Nov 2011
I think those two medicines in combination should be okay. If you don't see a difference in a few months then perhaps look at alternative treatments.
The link below has a bit more information about hair loss.
- Propecia Drug Information
- Rogaine Drug Information
- Finasteride Drug Information
- Minoxidil Drug Information
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
4 answers • 31 Oct 2009
Did you stop treatment and if so, did your hair loss get worse after stopping treatment? I am 22 as well and am desperately trying to stop hair loss ...
2 answers • 18 Jul 2010
can Finasteride cause hair loss I have noticed that the hair on my forearms is thinning also I have a rash on both arms and my feet and legs
1 answer • 26 Jul 2010
2 answers • 16 Nov 2011