Retinitis Pigmentosa - IS IT HARD GETTING ON DISABILITY WHEN THE rp GETS BAD?

Assuming you are in the United States, it is very easy to get on disability if you meet one of the two minimum vision requirements. With RP, this is typically a visual field of 20 degrees or less. The other vision requirement is best corrected vision of 20/200 or worse. Again, you only have to meet one of these, but if you do, it's VERY easy to get on disability, you just have to get medical documentation and apply.

If you don't meet either of these vision requirements, it's still possible to get disability based on vision loss, but it's more difficult. The SSA can take into account a combination of visual field loss and loss of acuity. They can also do a medical-vocational allowance, which takes into account your overall loss of vision, your age, education level, vocation, and the limitations your vision causes you. Both of these alternative methods are more difficult to use because the basis for the ruling is subjective.

You shouldn't have a problem, but it depends on how bad you have it.