Re: Meloxicam, can I stop taking sudden?

Yes you can stop taking Meloxicam without requiring a withdrawal process. Meloxicam is an NSAID like aspirin is and there are no addictive properties involved. I have been on and off Meloxicam over the years and any time I had a surgery I had to stop taking it for up to a week prior. The only side effect was the resumption of the pain which it was controlling. I had since stopped taking Meloxicam permanently and substituted it with Celebrex and I simply stopped changed over one day. Hope this helps answer your question.

Glenda Neal 19 Dec 2010

Thank you so much. My problem is the severe pain. I take 2 pain meds plus the meloxicam plus. But a couple of days ago a pain worse than ever experienced (non-stop) started. Its to the point that I can't get any relief. When I read up on M. today I was surprised. So many of the sever side effects are things I have been experiencing for some time. I feel I need to stop and see if those side effects stop, but I think I may need to chg. to something else. My ins doesn't cover Celebrex, that is what I had before. Do you know anything else to subs. for M.? I really appreciate your input. I didn't know of this site till today. I value your input, you seem to understand from where I come.

gailawannabe 21 Dec 2010

Glenda, I don't know of any other options for Celebrex. You will need to ask your specialist about what is out there. Also, if Celebrex worked but you can't afford it, see if the manufacturer has a program to help people get the medications they need regardless of finances. And sometimes doctors will help out by giving patients the samples they are given. It can be really hard to keep going but don't give up. There will eventually be an answer out there for you