My brother has severe mental problems as well as being a hard-core drug addict. He is ADHD, OCD, paranoid schizophrenic and I believe he is also a psychopath or sociopath. I don't know if I am explaining this right as I have no experience with these disorders.
Without going into so much detail that this question would be 10 pages long I will try to explain a little of what we are dealing with. He is 48 yrs old and currently living with my 70+ yr old parents, who live across the street from us. We have tried everything under the sun to get him the help he so desperately needs, to no avail. When he does drugs (speed aka meth being his drug of choice) he goes off the deep end. He sees demons and thinks people are trying to sacrific him. That is just the tip of the iceberg. We have called the police many times and taken him to various hospitals but he ends up talking his way out of the situation. We have been told that unless he volunteers for help we have no recourse.
My question:
Is there any way we can have him committed? He is a danger to my parents and has come very close to doing them harm when in his drug-induced state - which is happening more and more frequently.
I don't know what to do or where to turn. Can anyone give me guidance? I am so afraid he is going to hurt my mom or dad. Please, if anyone has experience with this, I need your help. Thanks for any and all responses.
-Terri-