I came back from Afghanistan over a year ago and was raped a few months after I got back. I just started getting help a couple months ago and they've already prescribed me Fluoxetine (Prozac equivalent). I agree I need more help than therapy was giving me but I'm not big on taking meds, especially after hearing people have been on it for 3, 12, or 20 yrs. Thats not gonna be me. I want to completely have my life back. If that means TEMPORARILY taking meds, okay. But I'm not trading one prison warden for another.

I would love to hear from anybody who is taking Prozac for either of these reasons (combat PTSD or post-rape). How has it helped you? What complications were there? Any significant things? And I especially want to hear from you if you've been taking it and came off it. Were you able to return to a life similar to before what happened or did you just fall back into depression/panic/etc. and have to go back on meds? Detail is great - thanks.