Is promethazine a controlled substance?

Yes. Promethazine is a Schedule V controlled substance under the Federal Controlled Substance Act. It is often combined in a syrup with codeine, and if so, then the combination is a Schedule II controlled substance. (And by the way, it is BOTH an antihistamine AND an antiemetic).

Blissfull 20 Feb 2015

Actually phenergan alone is not a controlled substance. When combined with codeine it is a Schedule V controlled substance.

Hello Bossbo. No. However, it does require a perscription. Regards pledge

Dear lord no, its an antihistamine.

kirklabw68 13 Mar 2014

It's not an antihistamine. It keeps you from vomiting.

jlynn3693 29 May 2015

It is both. It is an antihistamine used to treat nausea. I know that sounds odd, but it is just that.