US Merchant Mariner and currently possess a USCG license. I am applying for a new job as a mate and I have a question about the pre-employment drug screening. I am subject to USCG and Department of Transportation (DOT) standards. Back at the end of 2008, I was diagnosed with Adult ADD and have a legitimate and legal prescription for Adderall. However, I do not fully understand the process or the procedures involved if/when a drug test indicates a Positive Results for amphetamines (adderall). When do you have the opportunity to present your prescription/documentation to the testing facility? Does the testing facility, or the Medical Review Officer for the company, disclose this information to the employer before you are contacted? How does it work?

I'm not worried about it, but I would like to be prepared. According to the DOT and CFR, amphetamines are considered "dangerous drugs." As far as my "condition" goes, I have no limitations or imparing side effects that would compromise my physical or mental ability to perform my duties aboard ship.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.