Persisting Pain -- Shingles - Can you get shingles more than once?

Yes, you can get Shingles many times. The virus actually continues to live in certain nerves. Please see the link below.

http://www.drugs.com/enc/shingles.html

Yes I have had shingles a few times, very painful. There is meds to help a breakout like Acyclovir and Neurontin for the nerve pain. It is no fun when they come out worse pain I have ever had. Hope this helps you.

nc3994 18 May 2010

Thank you Marjorie for your feedback. I have had this pain for several years and it
seems to be getting worst at times. I asked my doctor if I could be getting
shingles again, and he no. at first he we tried Oxycotin, Neurontin and also
the Patch, but none of these medicine helped. Thanks for your help. NC

I have gotten shingles every few months for a few years. There is a problem with my immunity but yes its possible to get it more than once even with a normal immune system. And it leaves more nerve damage every time you get it. I have taken Lyrica for my nerve pain.

hotblazzer95 6 Jul 2012

I had Shingles 3 times. It is extreamley painful. I had to take Duragesic for it. Only thing that helped.Dr. also gave me Zovirax cream.. Helped dry them up & helped them go away faster.. This stuff was very expensive. Like, almost 250.00. If you have a good immune system take the vaccine. But Ask your Dr. First... Will keep you in my prayers.