Pain - Whats the difference between codiene and hydrocodone?

Codiene is the natural form of codiene with no deriviatives added to it, hydrocodone has codiene and/or TYLENOL or Ibuprophen as an additive.

Both have an " itchy", "sleepy", "euphoric" type side effect, both are pain releavers, moderate to severe in range, hydrocodone is highly addictive as is codiene due to tolerance build up effect.

Hydrocodone--affects the liver and kidneys, if long term use--- get the blood work done like you should. Tylenol is very damaging to the liver, because thats where all the bodies waste is filtered through, which then is eliminated by your kidney's which also filter urea proteins (poisons in the body systems), (the junk we consume in the body that is not needed by the blood cells, i.e. urine production) through the process of filtration you pee. Consume lots of liquids, water is best.

SnwAngel 20 Apr 2014

Hydrocodone indeed DOES NOT contain ANY codeine! Do your research!

lqa 6 days ago

Zohydro was approved Oct. 25, 2013 Zohydro ER is the first extended-release formulation hydrocodone therapy without acetaminophen.
http://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/fda-approves-zohydro-er-extended-release-single-entity-hydrocodone-product-3949.htm

They are both phenanthrene derivatives. Codiene is a weaker opiate type medication.

Hydrocodone is a much stronger opiate. It is usually combined with acetaminophen. The combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen will be found in values such as 5/500 which means 5 mgs of hydrocodone and 500 mgs of acetaminophen. Norco is better with 10/325. Too much acetaminophen is dangerous to the liver.

Codeine is an natural alkaloid from the opium poppy (morphine). Hydrocodone is a synthetic (man-made) medicine derived from codeine or thebaine, another alkaloid, also from the opium poppy. Hydrocodone is considered a stronger opiate analgesic than codeine.