Oxytocin - what the difference between oxycodone and oxycontin?

Oxycodone is generic name for Oxycontin.. which "is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. It is similar to morphine.

Oxycodone is used to treat moderate to severe pain. The extended-release form of this medication is for around-the-clock treatment of pain. It is not for treating pain just after a surgery unless you were already taking oxycodone before the surgery.

Oxycodone may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide."

Oxytocin is used to induce labor in women with rh problems, diabetes, or if its in the best interest of the mother or fetus.

To add to Delaney81's post, chemically they are exactly the same thing. Oxycodone is the active ingredient in both. Oxycontin, however, is the brand name for the sustained (timed) release version. Most pain specialists if using this treatment, would prescribe some qty of Oxycontin (SR) (2, maybe 3 times daily..usually every 8-12 hrs) then give a smaller mg dose of oxycodone immediate release (IR) or in combination with an NSAID like Tylenol for severe or breakthrough pain. Follow directions exactly and never crush or chew Oxycontin (SR) as that could result in an overdose

I took Oxycodone.Half a pill twice a day for 2 days, didn't seem to work, instead of trying different doseages I then took Oxtcontin !/2 pill sat then 1/2 sun... gave me tremenendous headache-did not know Oxycontin is time release-NEVER BREAK IN HALF!!! Seems I learned the hard way... So right now went back to Vicodin... FYI-I suffer from MS