Hi I have a question that I can't seem to find any information on and hoping for some advice. I have been taking Oxycontin 40mg 3x/day and Oxy IR 5mg prn for breakthrough pain with great results for chronic severe pain stemming from a car accident several years ago. My doctor now wants to switch me to Tramadol, he has prescribed me the immediate release pills for breakthrough pain (instead of Oxy IR) to try which didn't seem to give me much pain relief ,just bothered my stomach (which I'm guessing is from acetominophen which he said it contains). My doctor's reasonings for the switch is that "their are new studies showing that Oxycontin is not quite as safe as once believed and Tramadol is less habit forming".
I have tried several other pain meds in the past with either not so great pain relief results or extreme GI issues.
I'd like to ask if anyone has had any similar experiences and what your opinions are. Thank you