Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma - What causes lesions?

The most visible aspect of myeloma disease is its effect on bones throughout the body.
Bone destruction by osteolytic lesions is caused by two separate events.

1. Rapid growth of myeloma cells inhibits normal bone-forming cells, damaging bone.

2.In addition, production of substances that activate the cells that resorb bone called osteoclasts is increased. Osteoclasts normally break down old or worn out bone and work with bone-forming cells to repair bone. Increased activity of osteoclasts, however, causes bone loss with concomitant loss of bone repair and growth from the suppression of bone formation.